Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Foot in Mouth Syndrome

Something about digital dating makes me more likely to really, really say stupid things that I regret. Last night while IM'ing with Curling Boy we somehow got onto the topic of penis size (thank you Austin Powers for that segue). We got to talking about the Swedish Made Penis Enlarger...and he said something about size not mattering...and I mentioned my eraser-sized exboyfriend....and that's when it got weird.

Oh man. Yeah, I the suck.

The thing about digital dating is that allows you (or maybe it's just me) to be bolder than you would be in real life. You wink at guys that you would be too intimidated to even be caught looking at in real life. You flirt, and actually imagine that you are on the same rung of the social ladder. And then he responds....And bam you're back in high school, face beat red, after having been given the "yeah right" look by the hot jock.

On another note, Marysville Man and I texted a little last night. I was very antsy, feeling like his layoff would be the mechanism of our drifting apart (nooo!!!). My roommate (let's call her Bubbles - it's cuz of your laugh, honey) said "why don't you text him?" Oh Bubbles. I was so ready to make the move. I texted him: "Hi. Thinking of you. Hope you're staying warm with all the snow."

And I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And cursed Bubbles a few times.

And then a half hour later he responded. (Phew!) and it began with "Yessum". (Did he kinda just call me ma'am?) Insert my deflated heart.

We then kinda texted. I was responding whole-heartedly. He...was succinct but still nice. Oy. I wish I could read men's minds.

So here's my digital dating temperature: major head-smacking conversation with Curling Boy, and somewhat one-sided conversation with Marysville Man.

Yeah. Way to suck.

You know what? I think I'm just a little too eager. I kinda miss being in a relationship. I miss the emotional intimacy, and the emotional side of having "relations" with a man. And then the snuggling. Oh man, I miss snuggling! Curling Boy is just way too uncomfortable with snuggling, and I've only had the one date with Marysville Man, and it wasn't a snuggle-worthy date.

I'm going to try to mantra myself down from this eagerness. Let's see how long that works.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it's time to hit the websites again. My ex-roommate when about about two dozen dates with guys she met online, and as soon as she found the one, she knew. They're married with two kids now.

    P.S. We called my great-aunt Bubbles. :)

    ReplyDelete