Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Road So Far Traveled

When I first tried online dating two years ago it went...well unsuccessfully. Both of my major relationships as an adult began from introductions from friends. I'll let you assume how those went.

I'm giving this online dating another shot, originally at the urging of my stepmother (whom I love dearly).

So I created accounts with two major online dating websites: Match.com and OkCupid.com. Surprisingly, things have been very productive, and I've been on my fair share of first dates. One relationship began with a fellow (let's call him The Father - he has 3 kids, he's not a priest). The Father and I hit it off with lightening and it became hot and heavy very quickly. He stole my heart, and then showed me his incredible emotional baggage, which I was willing to work on with him. Then he turned around and said "I've decided to not see anyone until I get things worked out" - the day after Christmas. Via text. While I was recovering from surgery.

Yeah, ass.

I've gone on about 9 dates now with another guy (Curling Boy). He's very sweet, and I enjoy being with him, but the man moves at a snail's pace. I've met his friends, even went to one of their birthday parties. I'm introduced as the person Curling Boy has been seeing. That's fine. The most action I've gotten is a peck on the lips and a hug. I gotta say - this leaves me confused and.... unsatisfied. About a week and a half ago he asked me when I'd be ready to make our relationship official on FaceBook. What? I didn't know we were there yet. "Let's talk about it when we see each other tomorrow". His response in person? "I was just joking". No you weren't, babe. You're hurt and vulnerable and don't want to show me that I hurt you.

At the birthday party three days ago I met his ex. They did a joint gift to the birthday boy. Yeah, he's still hung up on her. I mentioned to him after the party that it's ok to make a move. His response? "I'm not ready yet".

Ok, I'm losing my patience, and sanity on this one.

And then there's my newest, and the one I am really liking. Marysville Man. Oh my goodness, he is one sexy piece of sexy. We met on OkCupid, and after a few days of emails on the website moved up to texting. Texting, texting, and then finally had our first date on Sunday. He took me to a family arcade place. We played Skeeball, arcade games, mini golf, and he gave me all his points at the end. We went to dinner, had a nice time, and then had a very, very sweet good night kiss that left my heart pounding and made me wish he didn't have to go. Oh yes, I do like Marysville Man. I can almost see our future wedding, someone telling the story of our first date and how he gave me all his arcade points. (Yes, it's silly, I'm a girl, shut up).

And last night we were texting and he told me he just got laid off. Frack. I asked him if instead of going out to dinner and a movie for our next date (as we had discussed) if he'd like to come to my house and see a movie. He replied that he needs to cut all his spending until he has unemployment worked out and possibly a job. I completely understand that in my head. In my heart I'm wailing "now it's never going to work out! he's going to become morose about his layoff, and we'll just end up drifting apart!!".

Yes, I know, I already stated I'm a girl. I overthink these things sometimes.

So that's where I'm at. Feeling confused and...well confused. And secretly wishing I could read minds (but had an off-switch).

No comments:

Post a Comment